In the wake of the deadly Suez Canal flooding, Egypt is using an unprecedented security measure that was previously used to protect the people of the country.
A new decree has been issued by President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi that requires all businesses and public places to post signs that read: “Do not enter or leave the country without permission.”
The measures are being implemented at a time when many Egyptians are still reeling from the flooding.
The decree was published by the official MENA news agency.
In addition, it has been reported that people who want to travel abroad can no longer enter or exit Egypt without a visa.
The measures were issued by El-Suez governor Mohamed Hussein in response to the flooding and the deaths of hundreds of people, including women and children.
The authorities have also said that it will stop allowing foreigners to bring in goods to Egypt from a list of destinations that includes Algeria, Libya, Tunisia, Sudan, Syria, Iran and Saudi Arabia.
According to a local newspaper, the authorities will also close the border crossings between Egypt and Saudi-Arabia and will restrict foreign tourists from entering Egypt.
The move comes as Egypt struggles to recover from a deadly flooding, which has killed more than 100 people, according to the Egyptian Ministry of Interior.
The government has also said it will suspend the import of fuel and food from Algeria, and that all flights from Saudi Arabia will be suspended until further notice.
“We are determined to defend the nation against the threats of terrorism, extremism, and violence,” President El-Shahly said in a statement released by his office on Wednesday.
The Egyptian government has already been accused of using this measure to cover up the deadly flooding and has previously denied any involvement in it.
Earlier this month, the Interior Ministry issued a statement saying that all citizens who visit the country “must have a valid document to enter or return”.
It has also been reported, however, that the government has detained hundreds of thousands of citizens in the past few years, mainly due to their suspected links to militant groups.
This is the second time the government is using this new security policy to curb the spread of radical ideology.
In August 2017, the government announced that anyone found guilty of joining terrorist organizations will face a maximum of 10 years in prison.
The same month, President el-Shaboul announced that his government was tightening security measures for tourists.
“The government will take all measures necessary to prevent terrorists and criminals from infiltrating Egypt, including to detain and prosecute all those found to be members of terrorist groups,” El-Sabah said.
In the same month that Egypt was hit by the flooding, President Abdel-Fattah El-Faisal was criticized for ordering a crackdown on religious and political groups.
He was also criticized for using a military operation to suppress the country’s second largest political party, the Muslim Brotherhood.
The Brotherhood is considered a terrorist organization by the United States and has been designated a foreign terrorist organization.
This crackdown has resulted in the arrest of thousands in the last few months.
“It’s an enormous mistake that the president has made, as we don’t need another political party in Egypt,” Egyptian opposition politician and journalist Mohamed El-Husseini said at the time.
The crackdown has also led to the resignation of several government officials, including former Interior Minister Mohammed El-Arian.